Saturday, June 11, 2016

Girl Time in Seattle!!

So.... I was thinking about my friend Jaime (moved from Vegas a couple of years ago) and wondered... how much would a flight to Seattle cost??  It was then I discovered Spirit airlines!  It's one of those shoe-string budget airlines that only goes to a few cities, but the prices ROCK!!   So, worked out some scheduling, sweet-talked my husband and in-laws, and to Jaime I went!  Woohoo!!
As much as I am a sunshine girl, and love where I live, I have to admit Poulsbo, Washington is one of the most beautiful places in the country!  Jaime's little town, with it's picturesque ma-and-pa store fronts and Viking Day celebrations, is just a ferry ride (or long car ride around the peninsula) from Seattle.  Somehow I managed to bring the sunshine with me and it was beautiful weather!
We had brunch with little Tyler in the most adorable bakery shop and restaurant. 

One of the things I enjoyed most, was just talking.  We walked and talked, and shared stories and books to read and ideas.  It was so great picking up where we left off.  I have missed my friend.

It was so great going around to some of Jaime's favorite places--places that I've heard her mention, but never seen.  The neighboring city of Port Townsend with its legendary Elevate Ice Cream was one of these.  Can we say salted caramel decadence?? My mouth is filling with saliva at the thought!


Going on an adventure to Seattle-- this is the view from the ferry.  So gorgeous!
That's Mount Ranier-- it almost doesn't look real!

Pike Street Market was amazing!  
It was so cool to see all of the different vendors indoors and outdoors.  The flowers and the spices and the homemade goods were so beautiful and delicious.  Jaime and I mused about how fun it would be to just walk through with an unlimited budget and pick things to cook-- giant lobster tails, with flavored pastas, and produce or condiments that you've never heard of. 
Not long before coming here, the kids and I happened to listen to a Boxcar Children's book about a mystery in Seattle!  I got a kick out of seeing all of the things they talked about-- I didn't get a photo of it, but there's a giant piggy bank in the market where people can donate their change to a charity.

This is the fish market where a guy stands with waders shouting to the crowd and they will toss the fish in the air to one another to package them!


Next we walked over to the Seattle Underground Tour.  I love historical stuff-- it was fascinating!!

Basically it's a story of city planning that resulted in 8ft high exploding toilets whenever the tide came in!  The solution was to built up the streets about 25 ft higher, leaving these tunnels at the sidewalk level.  After a very colorful history and some rat infestations, they were eventually condemned and in the 60s became part of a tour to help conserve the historic districts of Seattle.  
The inventor of the toilets we still use today was a man named John Crapper!  Haha!  
Now you know where some of those words for #2 and the throne we sit on come from!

These purple glass "decorations" on the sidewalks are actually skylights to the tunnels below!  Over the years the sun turned what was once clear glass, this purple color.


We ate a Ivar's and I had THE MOST DELICIOUS clams I have ever tasted.
I started to feel kinda silly saying "This is sooo good!" after every bite, but I couldn't help it!  
It was that good.

It was a wonderful weekend!



No comments: