Saturday, June 11, 2016

A magical night with bikes!

So last night was miracle after miracle!  

First, I was perusing craigslist and saw a post for FREE kids bikes that was only hours old, had photos of the type and size of bike I've been wanting for Jake, and actually responded to my text!  
After picking up Jake from school, we all headed over and the bike owners gave us two great bikes for free!  They were moving across the country and just wanted to be rid of them--awesome!

Of course Jake wanted to try his new wheels right away, so I make a quick costco hotdog dinner and they were off!   After a little trepidation (we sold Jake's old bike because it was too heavy for him) Jacob decide this new bike was perfect!  He was in heaven.

Braden's bike is currently at Grandma's house.  He's been struggling with the wonky training wheels there and contemplating going without them.  The girl's bike I got in the bargain is exactly the same size as that bike (future bike for Brook).  
So, after seeing Jake ride, Bray decided it was time to GO FOR IT!  He only fell once!  
It was so great.  I wish I could capture the contagious smile and pride and enthusiasm of this kid!  He soon became the coach and cheer team for Brook and Ethan.  

Brooklynn and Ethan have had these bikes for over a year, but have been either too nervous or too uncoordinated to ride them.  They love the tricycles at Grandma's house, but up until today refused to get on these bigger bikes unless I was pushing.  I think Braden's excitement did the trick!  At first Brookie was having trouble with the pedals, so Ethan was pushing her -- such a sweet brother!  Then, Bray started coaching and I started pushing, and something clicked!  Brook began to get the hang of pedaling forward and started keeping her eyes up, and I let go of the seat.  It was magic!


Never one to be left behind, Ethan saw that Brook could do it, the bigger boys were doing it, and by golly he could too! With a little grunting and pumping up the tires, he was off too!

We can't leave out Suzy!  She hopped on her little truck and with cries of "Ah me!" (watch me!) she rolled down the gentle inclines in our driveway area-- all other kids dodging!

I can't tell you how much I love these kids and how I wish I could just freeze these moments in time.  I guess pictures and blogging with have to be enough.  



They played all evening until it was bath/bedtime.  Then again today after breakfast.  And, Ethan and Braden continued to ride around in the heat all afternoon too!  I made them dunk their heads in the kiddie pool a few times to keep cool--haha! 


No comments: