Monday, December 29, 2014

Oh December, December

Every year I think I might get a way with a more relaxing December... you know... treats, gifts, family.  But then the real December hits me full force and I am quickly reminded that mixed in with all the good stuff, there is also the crazy!  
This December started off with a bang.  The first week Drew was busy preparing for his next big fire test with the Caldwell Idaho Fire Dept.  He had a written test, a physical test and the interview,  Talk about pressure.  There were only 2 spots available and over 100 guys competing for them.  Drew placed in the top 25 after the written test and blew away the competition in the physical test.  Then in the interview, he scored well as always and moved up from 25th to 9th in the rankings.  Sadly, this means no job at Caldwell Fire for now, but we think that just means there is something better waiting for us down the road.  I am so proud of Drew for this great accomplishment!  He is my hero!
Caldwell Fire Department - Santa Party
On Saturday our ward held our annual Ward Christmas Party, only this year it was a brunch.  My good friend Erin Hansen was in charge and boy does she know how to throw a party.  No detail went un-checked.  She had everything organized and planned and executed perfectly.  The theme was How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  I know what you're thinking, "not quite right for a ward party..."  But I assure you - we focused more on the last part of the tale, when the Grinch had a change of heart.  The Gym was decorated as if we were "inside" a who-house, complete with "windows" looking out at "Who-ville".  

"Window"
Then down the hall we created the town of Who-ville.  There we many shops:  The Who-ville Arcade (carnival games), Movie Theater (with popcorn), Emporium (making ornaments), The Who-ville Salon (get you hair done the "who-ville"way), the music room, the post office (for the missionaries), the library (coloring pages and books to read), the photo booth and the North Pole (Santa).  Whew!  There was a lot to see and a lot to do!  
I was in charge of the post office.  We have 6 missionaries so I set up mailboxes for each of them and plenty of paper to write letters and love notes.  The highlight was the mail shoots I affixed to the wall.   This party was so much fun and probably our best attended!  


Then a few days after the big party, it was time for Ava's dance recital!  Needless to say - she was amazing.  This little girl is quite talented. 

Fast forward a few weeks - to the stress and a few tears shed for my next big crazy task for the month: The Ward Choir Christmas Program.  I was called to be the ward choir director a few months ago and this was my first program that I was in charge of.  Major stress for me.  I had no idea how much there was to organize behind the scenes.  Between all the details of my calling and the lack of singers coming to practice - I was a bit frazzled and a lot stressed.  I even had bad dreams about the program!  However, I think Heavenly Father knows when you are trying to accomplish something good and gives you a little extra divine help along the way.  I know I had some angels helping me!
The program was a success and I think it was really beautiful.  Now - time to prepare for Easter!  Ahhh!

On Tuesday, before Christmas I participated in a rare opportunity.  My stake put together a flash mob at the Meridian Village.  This has been on my bucket list ever since I first heard what a flash mob even was.  We met an hour early to practice, received some last minute instructions and then headed to the Village.  (For those of you who don't know, the Village is a huge outdoor mall.)  It was a perfect night.  The weather cleared up and the the air was warm-er and there were A TON of people there!  We all (200 of us) dispersed among the crowd around the huge fountain in the center of the mall.  We watched for the signal and then... we couldn't hear anything!  The fountain was so loud we couldn't hear the music - or know when to come in.  So we watched the conductor and thankfully came in right on cue.  We sang O Holy Night, and it was glorious.  This was our way of sharing "The Gift" with our community.  After the song we handed out pass-along cards and took pictures together.  While I must admit, the flash mob didn't have as much flash as I had hoped for, but it still had the right sprirt about it and that is good enough for me.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS!  We hope you all had a wonderful holiday. 


SNOW!  Ava requested snow for Christmas and she got her wish.  It didn't take long for Ava and Brycen to get outside and play in it too. 


 Carter liked the idea of "playing outside" but absolutely REFUSED to get into anything cold-weather appropriate.  Boots, coat, snowsuit... it just wasn't going to happen.  After about and hour, I finally got him into a coat and his church shoes.  Notice the big alligator tears.  This kid can be soooo stubborn!


It has been a crazy month - but a good one too.  I'm so grateful to be able to spend it with the people I love.  Those friends and family both near and far.  My love to you all!

No comments: