Saturday, September 5, 2015

First Day of School!

So far, this school year has been a year of firsts for both boys.   Braden started kindergarten, and they both started a new school.  I was very happy with Discovery Charter when we first started.  Jake's kindergarten teacher there, Miss Ayala, was absolutely fantastic, and his 1st grade experience with Miss Rivera was equally wonderful.  However, I felt there were a lot of holes in that schools' curriculum-- no consistent music classes, "seminars" were a joke, not as organized as I would like-- and I hadn't heard super things about some of the upcoming rounds of teachers.  A friend of ours told me that she was applying to American Preparatory Academy, and I realized-- this is the same charter school that Mylie and Brynlee attend in Utah!  I didn't even realize they had a Vegas location-- and better yet, it was located closer to us and nearer to Grandma MacKay's house!   So, I applied, thinking it might be a nice option, and against all odds we made the lottery!

School has definitely been an adjustment for both boys.  It's definitely the opposite of Discovery-- highly organized, uniforms, high expectations, and procedures for everything.  However, it also has consistent music, art, and PE classes, and the boys have already been learning a lot.  I volunteered in Jake's classroom last week and I really like his teacher-- very firm in her expectations, yet also very positive and fun.  I love that Jake comes home every day with new learning jingle, bits of American history, or a memorized poem.  Their little "ex-ex-excellent" cheers are adorable.  And, both Jake and Bray are excited about being "builders, not wreckers"-- one of APA's themes.

I don't know a lot about Braden's teacher yet, as I haven't been able to volunteer in her class yet.   I can tell he's still working through his shyness.  Most days he tells me that he looks for Jake on the playground-- and they don't always have recesses at the same time.  However, he said last week that he made a new friend, and he too has been coming home with fun little cheers and prizes from the "treasure box."  I have high hopes for him as he navigates his way.

Anyhow, enough rambling.  Here's the cuteness....  or I suppose I should say handsome-ness for these big boys!


No comments: