Thursday, December 25, 2008

Last Installment from Cancun - (and back to reality)

For our last day in Cancun, we made it an all day trip to Xel-ha and Tulum. This was a spectacular day filled with wonder and amazement at the beauty of our great earth, it's lost civilizations, and our privilege to encounter just a small portion for our memories.


The beach below Tulum is secluded and beautiful. Just a little further south there is a community of Cabanas and beautiful private beaches for diving and getting away from the world completely. Perhaps next time this is where we will start.



I couldn't resist taking this postcard picture of the beach at Tulum. It was just too stunning. All that's missing is a hammock and me sleeping in the shade...
This Parrot fish kept following us around. He was a good 3 feet long and kept crunching away at the coral. A very noisy clicking sound that was a mystery until we saw this big boy.
There were three manatees in a cage that I came up to and took a picture. I reached through the bars and petted one. They are like gentle giants, curious, and graceful in the water.
There were great conch shells everywhere! This is the biggest one I found and brought up for a picture. All still had the critter inside and were very healthy.
Just me fooling around in the many caves and passage ways in Xel-ha. What a beautiful park!
This big boy commanded respect and we kept our distance. They just LOOK mean whether they are or not...

Arriving at Xel-ha at 9am in the morning we pretty much had the park to ourselves. It was serene and beautiful, unrushed by the later crowds. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I was amazed that Sue didn't want to stop for breakfast, instead, getting into the river at 9:20 until 11:30 only breaking for brunch and some time in the sun and going back again for another 2 hours in the afternoon. I'll make a water dog out of her yet... ;o)..

No comments: